– Posted by Jay Paris –
Preview of NFL games
- Chargers go for fourth straight win. … Jets have eliminated the Chargers from the playoffs twice since 2004. … Bolts to try and find dismal running game against the NFL’s top-run defense. … Jets to start QB Geno Smith but the Chargers expect to see backup Michael Vick at some point…Chargers front line remains unsettled because of injuries.
- Bears trying to win third straight road game as the Panthers try to avoid their third straight loss. …Panthers leaky run defense could be exposed by Matt Forte and the Bears. … Bears pass rush will aim for Cam Newton as he’s already been sacked nine times.
- After losing their opener, the surging Cowboys seek their fourth straight victory…DeMarco Murray leads league in rushing and rushing touchdowns. …Texans J.J. Watt eager to shine against Cowboys offense which has been excelling on the ground. …Texans defense has a league-high 11 takeaways.
- Kyle Orton to replace EJ Manuel at quarterback for the Bills…Orton does so against the NFL’s top defense…Lions WR Calvin Johnson said his ankle feels better after being restricted to two catches last week…Despite plenty of weapons, the Bills’ offense ranks No. 27.
- Ravens defense asked to slow down Colts’ league-best offense. … Baltimore gets back CB Lardarius Webb from back injury….Indy QB Andrew Luck coming off a four-TD game in win over Titans.
- Steelers try to avoid losing to a winless team for the second straight week…Steelers plagued by penalties as they average 11 per game, second-most in the NFL….Jaguars QB Blake Bortles gets his second NFL start after looking good in the first half of the team’s recent loss to the Chargers…WR Marqise Lee (hamstring) remains out for J’ville but Ace Sanders is back after a four-game suspension.
Tampa Bay-New Orleans…
- Two one-win teams playing, which might explain why tickets on Stubhub start at $36…Saints have won five straight at home and have beaten the Bucs five consecutive games…Easy to see why NO is struggle — giving up nearly 400 yards per game…QB Mike Glennon expected to start for TB.
- Once left for dead G-men looking for the third straight win…Falcons scoring nearly 33 points a game, which leads the league…Falcons lost starting offensive linemen for the season last week…After four interceptions last week, the Giants pace the NFL with seven picks.
- If Eagles win they got to 4-1 for the first time in eight years…Rams had a bye last week…St. Louis is in the top 10 in total offense and passing despite playing third-string QB Austin Davis…Eagles RB Lesean McCoy had but 17 yards in 10 carries in the loss to the 49ers.
- A Titans loss would be their fourth straight, their longest skid in four seasons…Browns looking to win for the first time in eight road games…Titans QB Jake Locker could return after missing last week with a right wrist injury…Browns stout running game could get a boost with the return of Ben Tate.
- Both teams are coming off of byes…Cardinals looking to get to 4-0 like they did in 2012. But unlike 2012, Arizona isn’t looking to lose the following nine games after winning the first four…Arizona likely to be without QB Carson Palmer (shoulder)…Broncos coming off loss to Seattle in which they rushed for but 36 yards in 20 carries…Cardinals have never won in four trips to Denver, getting outscored 106-32.
Kansas City-San Francisco
- Don’t look for a warm-and-fuzzy story with former 49ers QB Alex Smith returning to S.F. …Smith still steamed at 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh for benching him in favor of Colin Kaepernick…If Smith prevails, it will be the Chiefs third straight win and first in SF since 1971…Harbaugh trying to rally team after reports that his approach has grown stale with his players…49ers TE Vernon Davis could be compromised with a balky back.
- Is Pats QB Tom Brady done? Probably a stretch but his numbers are among the worst in the NFL…NE’s roster no longer has the parts to complement Brady…Cincy looking to stay undefeated behind the balanced offense led by QB Andy Dalton and RB Giovani Bernard.
Seattle at Washington
- The Seahawks have won eight straight on “Monday Night Football” and this appearance comes after coach Pete Carroll gave the team the entire week off for the bye…Washington RB Alfred Morris is fifth in the NFL with 316 rushing yards. It figures Washington leans on Morris to keep the ball away from Seattle QB Russell Wilson and his ball-control offense.
Green Bay-W-Minnesota (42-10)
- Thursday night football…Aaron Rodgers’ three TD passes allow Packers to embarrass the Vikings.
- Miami and Oakland have byes