News & Notes around NFL camps
- Mike McCoy rests a lot of veterans inserts younger players in pads for extended workouts to get them used to physicality of game and speed in pads
- QB-Kellen Clemens runs entire offense with Philip Rivers resting
- 1st round pick Jason Verrett practiced in pads and deflected one pass-but no contact workouts
- CB-Stevie Williams-impressive last year in camp before an injury-took tons of snaps for the second day in a row and will play a lot in preseason games to gauge progress
- Depth chart is out for next Thursday’s preseason game with the Cowboys
- RB-Donald Brown, the ex-Colt, is listed as lst team kickoff returner
- Eddie Royal is the punt returner
- Chris Watt-maybe the most consistent rookie-will start at right guard.
Around the NFL:
- Signs-FA-LT-Max Starks-ex-Steelers starter..was in Chargers camp last year-released..did not play.
- LB-Pat Angerer goes down with concussion.
- RB-Fritz Toussaint-starred at Michigan-moves to starter as Ravens kick returner.
- Coach Doug Marrone unveils new passing tandem QB-EJ Manuel and WRs-Sammy Watkins-Robert Woods for Hall of Fame game vs Giants.
- Sign-FA-OT-Dennis Roland
- CB-Tim Jennings goes down with quad injury.
- WR-Josh Gordon’s drug appeal hearing lasts 10-half hours on Friday-will resume on Monday
- Fighting 1-year suspension-saying 2nd hand smoke from marijuana led to positive test
- Lawyers argue his “A” test was shade over legal level from 2nd hand smoke..”B” level test came back clean.
- Sign-FA-Ken Boatwright-DE-Seahawks because of so many injuries in camp.
- QB-Brock Osweiler will take all the snaps in Saturday scrimmage with 2nd unit against Broncos lst team defense.
- WR-Jared Abbrederis-Torn Achilles
- 12th player to go down in NFL camp that injury in 10-days.
- Sign-FA-KR-Joe Adams from CFL-Edmonton Eskimos
- RB-Arian Foster out of workouts again-hamstring-2nd time
- Move rookie OG-Jack Mewholt-Ohio State to starting guard spot.
- Nightmare at WR grows-5 now out
- Justin Blackmon-Ace Sanders suspended
- Cecil Short-Alan Robinson-Tandon Doss all hurt.
- Sign-FA-S-Steven Gregory-ex Charger-Patriot
- CB-Eric Berry-out strained heel
- CB-Sonders Commings-torn ACL.
- WR-Mike Wallace-out hamstring-2nd day in row
- workout FA-QB-Brady Quinn
- RB-David Wilson told to consider retirement-neck injuries
- Rashard Jennings-Peyton Hillis to become lead backs
- Unveil new West Coast Offense with Eli Manning in Hall of Fame game..
- QB-Geno Smith throws 60-65-Yard TD passes against last years lst round pick Dee Milliner.
- QB-Matt Schaub-bad flashbacks-throws 3-picks in 2-workouts
- QB-Derek Carr two long TD bombs down the middle.
- Signs-K-Shaun Suisham-3Y-Extension
- Release-RB-Arvester Alexander-Wyoming.
- DE-Aaron Donald explosive in pass rush up-inside
- OT-Jake Long-first full practice coming off knee surgery.
- Sign-FA-CB-Lowell Rose-had been on Jets practice squad.
- IR-DT-Jessie Williams-knee injury-2nd year in row
- IR-TE-Anthon y McCoy-torn Achilles-2nd year in row.
- WR-Brandon Lloyd miss workouts-groin
- WR-Michael Crabtree-sits again-hamstring.
- Coach Lovie Smith praises DE-DaQuan Bowers-playing possessed.
- Jerry Rice-Jr-rookie-UCLA-torn shoulder labrum-headed to IR.
NFL Hall of Fame induction ceremonies-Saturday in Canton
- Giants-DE-Michael Strachan (122QBX)
- Falcons-DE-Claude Humphrey (110QBX)
- Bucs-LB-Derrick Brooks-never missed a game in 14Y
- Raiders-P-Ray Guy-invented term hang time (42Y-average)
- Seahawks-LT-Walter Jones-12Y-star
- Buffalo-WR-Andre Reed (941-receptions)
- Arizona-CB-Aeneas Williams (55-Int).