– Thursday Night –
- Steelers-L-Ravens (26-6)…Pittsburgh falls apart in flurry of 3-turnovers, 4-major penalties, 2-QB sacks of Ben Roethlisberger….Ravens pound for (157R) on the ground control the game from 2nd possession on….Pittsburgh has now gone 6-quarters in a row without an offensive touchdown.
– Sunday Preview –
- Chargers-Seahawks…They won’t be at Century Link-but that doesn’t really matter to Seattle-they win wherever they play…Blazing hot weather (102) is in the forecast for Mission Valley on Sunday…Seattle slugged the Bolts just two weeks ago in a preseason game where the Chargers defense never put up a fight…They will this time-but the big question, do they have enough on defense to slow the Seahawks down
- The defensive front still looks thin once you get beyond Corey Liuget…The linebacking corps put tremendous pressure on Carson Palmer, who was sacked twice, nearly went down 3-other times…San Diego will have to exert that same pressure yet hold containment against scrambling QB-Russell Wilson….The secondary will be under the gun again after the defense last week gave up 16-plays off 11-yards or more as Arizona piled up (403) in total offense…
- Philip Rivers may complete some passes on the opposite side of Pro Bowl CB-Richard Sherman…Seattle has gone thru three cornerbacks already, with injuries knocking out Tharold Simon and Jeremy Lane at corner, coupled with the loss of free agents Brandon Browner and Walter Thurmond…
- San Diego must prove they can run the ball-but no longer have the services of the anchor in the OL-Nick Hardwick…Rivers will try to go to a quicker snap count call at the line of scrimmage to wear down the Seahawks in the heat…
- Seattle will run Marshawn Lynch and Roy Turbin, and will throw to Percy Harvin, Doug Baldwin and the youngsters Jermaine Kearse and Ricardo Lockette. Only 12% of the teams that start a season (0-2) make the playoffs. The Chargers will probably have to face that reality by Sunday night. Prediction: Seattle 30-San Diego 17.
- Surprise matchup for sure, the Dolphins coming off an upset win over the Pats, much like the Bills winning last weekend in Chicago…Dolphins could be in trouble though having all three starting LBs out with injuries from the New England game…Bills will be amped at home with new owner Terry Pegula in the house, plus the kid QB-EJ Manuel. Bills to win and go (2-0) on the year.
- Jaguars had an early 17-0 lead last week and watched it fall apart….Redskins still trying to find their offense with Robert Griffin III, who wants to go down the field more in the passing game. Washington wins it.
- Tony Romo threw three picks last week in bad Cowboys loss, and his image is still the same-good enough to put up big yardage numbers but erratic enough to turn it over and get you beat….Titans had good start under Coach Ken Whisenhunt, and should get to (2-0) against a really substandard Dallas defense. Tennessee takes them.
- Nothing seems to fit with Tom Coughlin’s Giants team…Offense has no rhythm, defense has lots of injuries and here comes Carson Palmer coming off strong outing and win vs San Diego…Eli Manning looks as if he is playing in slow motion…Giants can run..receivers don’t get open…Big Red to beat the Blue.
- Second row game in a row for Patriots after last week’s stunning loss in Miami…Vikings will be amped with new look offense, built around Matt Cassell and Adrian Peterson…Tom Brady likely will hit big passes for Minnesota defense not that strong…Doubt a Bill Belichick team would start (0-2)…Pats win.
- Really bad defensive performance by Saints last weekend in loss, so they take it out on Cleveland this weekend…Drew Brees yet to have his WR-group on field together because of injuries to Brandon Cooks-Kenny Stills…Browns had strong second half rally vs Steelers, but still lost, and lost RB-Ben Tate…Saints smoke them.
- This will be a throwing contest…QB-Matt Ryan comes off record 448-passing day last week…Andy Dalton went over 300-again for Bengals…Shootout likely with both having big play WRs-Julio Jones-AJ Green..Take the Falcons.
- Cam Newton starts coming off rib issues..Matt Stafford had great start under coach Jim Caldwell…Lots of trash talk too swirling around Ndomakong Suh and the Lions penalty prone defense…Newton may be asked to do too much by himself…Lions look like a different team right now…Detroit wins it.
St Louis-Tampa Bay
- Both offenses in trouble…Rams Shaun Hill hurt last week after replacing QB-Sam Bradford…Rams offense fell apart…and now defense has lost DE-Chris Long for 8W-ankle surgery….Bucs didn’t impress anyone either at QB-Josh McCown…and RB-Doug Martin ailing with knee again…Someone has to win-Bucs will.
- Great excitement at the start last week with QB-Derek Carr but then Raiders had only 85Y-offense in the final three quarters….Carr will be looking at JJ Watt and friends on Houston defense….Texans got decent outing from QB-Ryan Fitzpatrick and they do have Arian Foster and Andre Johnson…Think the Raiders kid QB struggles on the job…Pick Houston.
- Aaron Rogers meet the Gang Green defensive front seven…Jets are pretty tough up front, shutting down the run, going after the QB…Rogers has all three RBs back, and the Jordy Nelson-Randle Cobb combo catching passes….Don’t know what to make of the Jets offense even with Geno Smith-QB…Pick the Packers.
- Nightmare start for Chiefs…Lost opening day badly…Lost two defensive starters for the year with Achilles injuries..now they have to look at Peyton Manning and all the guns the Broncos have…KC (9-0) start last year will be a distant memory when they go to (0-2) by Sunday night.
- Jay Cutler will be throwing against a Niner secondary without both its corners…bigger issue will Bears defense show up-because they got battered last week in loss at home to Buffalo…Think there could be an upset brewing here-Cutler just dangerous enough to pull this one off…Taking-Chicago.
- Andrew Luck-vs-Chip Kelly…Should be fun to watch…Colts don’t look like a complete team, but the QB makes everyone better…Eagles had a slow start last week but got rolling, and will challenge undermanned-unknown name Colt defense…but Luck will keep it close…Like Indy-but Eagles too much firepower.